If you or your child are gluten-free and dairy-free (or gluten-free and casein-free), when it comes to meals, snack time can be particularly challenging! We want to reach for snacks that are quick, easy, and tasty. However, we often miss the mark on nutritional value including protein content, which helps to balance blood sugar levels and much more.
We recently discovered “Nature’s Qu” products by Embrace Foods, which offers a line of healthy products that are gluten-free, dairy-free, lactose-free, casein-free, soy-free and vegan, including cereal, cookies and bars. What’s really great about Nature’s Qu products, is that they all contain quinoa – the healthy, ancient gluten-free grain that is all the rave these days. That explains the “Qu” in “Nature’s Qu!”
We sampled Nature’s Qu Quinoa Cereal, Nature’s Qu Quinoa Bars, and Nature’s Qu Quinoa Cookies.
We really loved the delicious gluten-free, dairy-free, casein-free, vegan quinoa bars. They’re filled with a nice variety of fruits, seeds, and nutty whole grains. Each 45 gram bar contains 7 grams of protein, and are a source of calcium, fiber and iron. They also contain organic buckwheat flakes, and are sweetened with agave nectar rather than refined sugar. They are made with ground peanuts, so although they are not suitable to send to school, they make a great snack for home.
We also enjoyed the quinoa cookies, which are gluten-free, dairy-free, casein-free, nut-free, soy-free, and contain quinoa flakes, fruit, and have a cinnamony flavor.
What a great way to enjoy quinoa on the go! Nature’s Qu products have a very good shelf life, and you can even order products online across Canada and the USA.
According to Anastasia MacLean, Product Innovator and “QEO” at Embrace Foods, we should “take our Qu from nature!” Anastasia offers the following helpful tips for making “gluten-free casein-free snack time” fun for both parents and children:
1. Try healthy after-school snacks such as: fresh-cut veggies with a white bean or salsa dip; rice crackers or gluten-free pretzels and hummus; fresh-cut fruit with nut butter (i.e., almond, sunflower).
2. Provide choices and get them involved, so they look forward to snack time, and are learning valuable skills.
3. Make a picnic out of it! Have the children help gather snack choices and load up in a basket, then spread a blanket on the floor (or outside on the grass in warmer weather) and enjoy!
4. Have them cut fruit or gluten-free soft bread sandwiches with cookie cutters (with your assistance) to make interesting shapes.
5. Freeze grapes for a hot weather snack – like little round popsicles!
6. Offer a variety of dips, such as white bean, hummus, salsa, etc. – with cut up raw fruit and veggies, adding an element of play to healthy snacking.
7. Let them assemble their own fresh fruit kebabs, or line up raw fruit and veggie chunks as a “train” on their plate.
For more information about Embrace Foods and Nature’s Qu products, you can visit their website at Embracefoods.com
Take your Qu from Nature for FREE! Be one of the first 3 people to send an email to Embrace Foods at email@example.com with the subject line “I take my Qu from Nature” and receive a dozen Nature’s Qu Quinoa Bars or Nature’s Qu Quinoa Cookies (your choice) with your first online order for free!