Created by Kathy Smart of LiveTheSmartWay.com
Meals in mason jars are quick and easy to prepare, and they look beautiful. Try these healthy, tasty meals in mason jars for breakfast, lunch and dinner. These recipes were featured with Kathy Smart and Debbie Travis on CTV’s The Social during Celiac Awareness Month, 2014 and they were a big hit!
Watch the segment here: http://www.thesocial.ca/food/recipes/meals-in-a-mason-jar
BREAKFAST: Maple Cinnamon Crunch Overnight Oats
1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup old fashioned, pure oats
1 tablespoon chia seeds
3 tablespoons pecan halves and sliced fresh strawberries
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Layer all ingredients in a 500 ml or 1-litre mason jar (in order of ingredients listed above) and let sit overnight.
2. Top with fresh strawberries for décor or top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, a strawberry with green stem, whole pecan and drizzle with maple syrup.
LUNCH: Detox Chicken Salad
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup chopped chicken
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup shredded kale
1/4 cup purple cabbage
1 cup mixed baby spinach and arugula
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
2 tablespoons diced almonds
1. Layer all ingredients in a 1-litre mason jar (in order of ingredients listed above) and seal until lunch.
2. At lunchtime, empty salad on to your plate.
DINNER: Mexican Siesta Supper
1/4 cup fresh salsa
1/2 cup chopped, cooked chicken
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup red peppers
1/4 cup orange peppers
1/4 cup green peppers
Top with 1/2 cup sliced avocados and crushed blue corn chips
1. Layer all ingredients (in order of ingredients above) in a 1-litre mason jar and seal until supper.
2. Empty out on a plate and serve with a dollop of sour cream.