Bread that’s free of grains and common food allergens and tastes great is hard to find. Adrian Russell, a friend of our family who has type-2 diabetes created his own lower glycemic and grain-free bread recipe. Made with wholesome ingredients and high in fibre, this focaccia-style bread is delicious and is loved by those who need to avoid grains and follow a diet that is low glycemic and/or diabetes-friendly. Plus, it only takes 30 minutes until your fresh bread is ready!
3/4 cup flax seed meal
3/4 cup chia seed meal
3/4 cup almond meal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon organic coconut sugar or the equivalent of another natural sweetener (e.g. honey or pure Stevia liquid)
5 beaten organic eggs or egg replacers (an electric beater or hand blender, when used, helps make fluffier bread but is not essential)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup organic coconut oil
1. Preheat oven (or convection oven if you have one) to 350°F.
2. Line pan (a cookie sheet or pan with edges works best) with parchment paper or silicone mat.
3. Mix dry ingredients well; a whisk works well.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine well. Don’t let the batter sit in the bowl as it will become too hard to spread.
5. Pour batter onto pan. Spread evenly, leaving a margin around the edge of the pan; it will be too thin if you spread batter right to the edges.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes. If you touch the top it should be firm and spring back.
7. Allow to cool and cut into slices. Makes eight slices. If desired for sandwiches, cut each slice carefully through the middle to make two slices.
Lisa Cantkier is a holistic nutritionist and lifelong celiac focused on living well with special diets. Her website is LisaCantkier.com